Google Analytics

Monday, June 7, 2010

I got scanned and I didn’t even get a lousy t-shirt

I recently went through one of those full body scanners at the Salt Lake City airport and did take longer than going through a normal metal detector. Now the AP timed the scanner at about 25 seconds but the process is much more than being scanned.

I had to emptied my pockets more thoroughly because as the TSA agent kept stating

You must take everything out of your pockets. If anything is still in there I’m gonna have to scan you by hand anyway.

So I’m obliged to take stuff out of my pockets that I wouldn’t have otherwise which again slows me down because I have to put that on the belt to be x-rayed and then pick it up again. (I thought this thing was supposed to be able to see stuff better!)

Then I have to figure out (even after being told) where to put my feet, how to stand, how to put my arms up.

Then even after getting out of the scanner, I step to the next stage which involves waiting next to another TSA agent on a walkie until the walkie squaks “clear!” and I am permitted to pick up my things and move on.

Unfortunately, I didn’t know this was going to happen so I couldn’t prepare a special message for them.

To make it more fun they should put one of those booths at the end of the process like Disneyland has where you can check out your picture and pay $6 for a crappy printout of it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Until they figure out how to eliminate screeners from WBI machines, people should be fully aware of the images:

http://www.rupture.co.uk/Terminal%204.html

The Forgotten Man said...

Yep. They seem to think everyone is ok with exposing themselves as long as the person they are exposing themselves to is anonymous in another place. Maybe next they can distribute webcams for all of our bedrooms.

In all seriousness though, I still dont see how this is an improvement over the somewhat arbitrary feel-good rules we already have in place.