Google Analytics

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Turn it down!

The latest in the category of “Things that are a good idea shouldn’t necessarily be a law”

The house just passed H. R. 1084

To require the Federal Communications Commission to prescribe a standard to preclude commercials from being broadcast at louder volumes than the program material they accompany.

Really? Do I need a law to make the commercials quieter?

I know the reason. I’ve been up late and had a commercial come on that was startlingly louder than the scene of the TV show that preceded it. But this is the kind of feel good junk law which sounds like a reasonable idea until you start to think if it should really be a law. I do not want any legislative body worrying about the volume of my TV. Its a waste of time and money and an intrusion. What if I am selling fog horns? I kinda want the commercial to be loud, right?

Hyper-Paranoid Resulting Scenario: new laws mandating volume control of my television remotely accessible by “proper authorities” – sound unlikely? So did remote controlling my thermostat a few years ago.

No comments: