Google Analytics

Monday, April 12, 2010

Oh to live in Europe

Where in Denmark the biggest concern the workers have is losing their free beer. The Carlsberg brewery’s staff is going on strike over a ban on drinking at work

A few hundred warehouse workers and drivers at Danish brewer Carlsberg halted work for a second day on Thursday to protest a company decision to limit beer drinking at work to lunch breaks.

"There has been free beer, water and soft drinks everywhere," he said. "Yesterday, beers were removed from all refrigerators. The only place you can get a beer in future is in the canteen, at lunch."

The horror! Of course there is also an inequity at work here. The breweries drivers still get to have up to 3 beers outside of lunch hours. No fair!

I’ve worked several places that had policy shifts around alcohol in the workplace and nobody went on strike. Of course they could fire my ass anytime they felt like it anyway. But then I can always quit whenever I felt like it too. Just pay me my check. If I really need free beer as compensation, I’ll make sure to ask about it during the next job interview.

No comments: