Google Analytics

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

All Apologies

Now I know there has been a bunch of noise regarding the whole Palin vs Letterman stuff going on lately, but now that David Letterman has made a second length apologize I noticed something different that no one else I’ve heard has pointed out.

This was not your usual politician/celebrity apology in which they say “Yes I said that. No I meant something else. And IF you were offended then I’m sorry you were offended.”

Most public apologies come across with language that includes “if” and “but” which means its a conditional apology – which means its not an apology! Its actually an accusation that the audience was too stupid to understand the discussion (and that they are sorry you are too stupid).

Letterman said flat out (paraphrasing) “I said that. I didn't mean it that way, but that's the way it was interpreted and that's still my fault. Its my responsibility to make sure its interpreted correctly. I’m sorry and I’ll try to better in the future.”

No conditions. Just responsibility. Kudos Mr. Letterman!

No comments: