Google Analytics

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Agitator misses the point

Radley, your heart is in the right place but you missed the point regarding Barney Franke’s online gambling bill.

It’s unfortunate that it takes the promise of tax revenue for the federal government to respect individual freedom. But I suppose that’s the reality of things.

This is typical “end justifies the means” thinking. This is all about revenue. Legalize something so we can tax it? That’s not freedom, that is extending the governments reach during a stressful time.

While we are at it why don’t we just legalize extortion and hits. I’m sure there is lots of money to be made taxing that as well.

I’m for legalizing pot and poker – I just don’t think taxation as the primary motivation is the right way to travel down that road. Its not a moral victory. Its another hand in my pocket.

No comments: